The following is a list of services currently provided by the Stormwater Utility. These services will be expanded once the Utility is fully operational. New/future services are shown below the list of current services.
- Develop and implement activities to comply with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) municipal stormwater permit including the six minimum measures and annual reporting requirements:
- Public education and outreach;
- Public involvement and participation;
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination;
- Construction site stormwater runoff control;
- Post-construction stormwater management in new development and redevelopment; and
- Pollution prevention/good housekeeping for municipal operations.
- Participate in the Bolin Creek Watershed Restoration Team efforts to remove Bolin Creek from the Impaired Waters List.
- Track and implement provisions under the Jordan Lake Rules, including annual reporting requirements.
- Prepare and administer stormwater-related professional and engineering services contracts.
- Maintain stormwater regulatory and infrastructure data systems.
- Sweep streets routinely to remove pollutants and debris.
- Maintain and repair stormwater system infrastructure.
- Review development projects involving stormwater management during all stages of development.
- Review and update stormwater related provisions in the Town's Land Use Ordinance
- Perform field classification of streams; identify and map breakpoints between perennial, intermittent and ephemeral streams; update and maintain mapping; and assist the Zoning staff and development applicants with stream inquiries.
- Inspect public and private stormwater facilities.
- Conduct annual benthic monitoring.
- Cooperate with Chapel Hill and USGS to monitor stream flow
- Respond to stormwater-related citizen inquiries and requests for assistance.
- Provide technical and staff support to the Stormwater Advisory Commission.
- Participate in the Clean Water Education Partnership
The following is a list of new services to be considered once the Stormwater Utility is fully funded and operational.
- Expand activities for the services listed above.
- Update the Town’s Stormwater Management Plan.
- Prepare an annual stormwater report.
- Manage and update stormwater billing data; respond to customer inquiries regarding fees, impervious surface data, billing, procedures, etc. Coordinate billing and revenue collection with Orange County.
- Develop and administer capital improvement projects, including stormwater retrofits and stream repair and restoration projects.
- Investigate green infrastructure opportunities.
- Identify and pursue grant opportunities to provide supplemental funding for stormwater mitigation, stream repair and restoration, and drainage/infrastructure improvement projects.
- Investigate an update to the Town's Drainage Policy and creation of a Drainage Assistance Program
- Expand on community education and outreach efforts