What is an Inspection?

Any newly constructed structures or renovations of existing structures need to be inspected for compliance with building code. The code that Carrboro inspectors check for is international building code with North Carolina provisions.

If there are complaints, Carrboro Inspectors will also inspect existing structures for minimum housing code violations.

When do I Need an Inspection?

You need an inspection whenever you are doing work that requires a permit.

When construction is complete in any of four areas: Building structure, Electrical infrastructure, Plumbing infrastructure, or Mechanical infrastructure (air conditioning/heating, etc.), the builder or owner must contact the Town Inspections Division and schedule an inspection to check that the construction is meeting code requirements.

What Work Requires an Inspection?

Work that requires a permit, for which you need an inspection, includes:

Any new construction
Any electrical work replacing HVAC or duct work
Any plumbing that is connected to the water supply or to drain waste below a trap
Any structural work

What Inspections Are Needed?

The following inspections must be signed off and complete for a building to be cleared for occupancy: an Electrical Final, a Mechanical Final, a Plumbing Final, a Building Final, and, in some cases, a Zoning Final.

What is a Certificate of Occupancy?

A newly constructed structure cannot be occupied until it is issued a Certificate of Occupancy (a CO). The CO is issued upon receipt of the Building Final, when all other necessary inspections are complete and passed. A CO is required only for new construction.

How do I Schedule an Inspection?

To schedule an inspection, call the Inspections Division (919-918-7336), during office hours (Monday through Friday from 8AM to 4:30PM), at least 24 hours before the time you need the inspection. Inspections are set up for mornings or afternoons.

How do I obtain a permit?

Go to the following link for information.

Building Permits